Merit Shop Philosophy
Associated Builders and Contractors of Alaska will be the voice of the construction industry, advocating the ideals of the free enterprise, developing training for the workforce and providing contractors the resources required to compete in the ever changing environment.
- In the system of free enterprise.
- Employees and employers should have the right to determine wages and working conditions, through either individual or collective bargaining, as they choose, within the boundaries of the law.
- The employer must have concern for the general welfare of the employee and that there must be a fair condensation for work preformed, By the same token, we believe that the employee has an obligation for satisfactory performance of assigned work.
- We support sound legislation in the areas of workers compensation, safety and unemployment compensation. We believe legislation that embraces fair play for both employer and employee is essential to the preservation of our free enterprise system. The law should protect the right of employees to work regardless of race, color, creed, age, sex or membership or non-membership in a labor organization.
- We oppose violence, coercion, intimidation, and the denial of the rights of workers or those in management.
- The economy is incumbent upon all branches of government and that government should award contracts only to the lowest responsible bidder, We oppose any unjust pressure to violate these principles.
- Work opportunities in this nation should be made available to all of our people, regardless of race, color, creed, age, sex or national origin, and we support programs toward this end.
- Monopolies or any kind of price or wage fixing in either the public or private sector are detrimental to our system of free enterprise.
- The destiny of all Americans can best be served by cooperation, reconciliation and following the tenets of free enterprise and democratic government.
- We believe business leaders can best preserve these tenets by becoming active in politics and civic affairs.