Founded on the merit shop philosophy, Associated Builders and Contractors helps its members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. From best-in-class safety programs to discounts with leading vendors, ABC has the solutions for merit-shop companies nationwide. Join a network of companies striving to be the best the construction industry has to offer. ABC of Alaska's purpose lies in providing year-round services to our members specifically tailored to the needs of the construction industry. With being a member of ABC of Alaska not only do you receive the benefits from the Alaska Chapter but also ABC National.
Learn more about the incentives members receive:
Building Your Business
• Networking - opportunities to network with leaders in the construction industry and associates
• Training/Education - management and craft training/apprenticeship programs
• Accredited Quality Contractor Program - recognizing premier construction companies who focus on their employees’ safety, benefits and quality of business practices
• Excellence in Construction Awards – recognizing the best in Merit Shop construction from across the United States for all sizes of construction contractors (recent Alaska Chapter winners include: Udelhoven Oilfield System Services, Watterson Construction Company)
• Peer Groups – groups of similar business owners from different states who enjoy sharing and finding ways to improve your business and theirs! Many businesses form close, valued business relationships over the years by sharing and resolving many of the issues that affect similar businesses regardless of location.
• Find-A-Contractor – on-line national referral system—grow your business just by being a member
• Safety Training Evaluation Process – STEP improves your company’s safety practices and can lower your workers’ compensation insurance rates
• Health benefit hour banking, training and retirement trusts – contribute fringe benefits directly into employee trust accounts.
• ABC Marketplace - A one-stop shop for exclusive savings and discounts from close to 30,000 merchants.
Political & Legal Representation
• Lend YOUR voice to the people who represent you and your needs! E-mail and internet opportunities (award-winning Voter’s Voice) to stay in touch electronically with your elected official. Our mantra, “Get into Politics or Get Out of Business” rings especially true in Alaska!
• National organization, current issues: Small Business Health Plans; comprehensive immigration reform; workforce development and education programs; defeating Employee Free Choice Act (aka “Employee Forced Choice Act”); small-business tax reform; job creation; OSHA workplace safety; government construction contracting
• National and Alaska Legal: members have access to Alaska and national legal counsel, libraries, training, and peer advice regarding a multitude of construction industry issues that affect the construction business.
Safety and Education
• Craft & Apprenticeship training opportunities—improving performance and safety, increasing loyalty to your company, and boosting the morale of you greatest asset—your employees! Alaska apprentices participate in National Craft Championships at the annual Workforce Development Conference; the competition is a great opportunity to reward your best apprentices.
• Safety Training & Evaluation Process (STEP) to recognize excellent safety programs and help companies implement and improve their safety records, with National Safety Awards
• Leadership education – improving your bottom line from a top down approach
• Access to “ClickSafety” web-based, on-demand OSHA certified training. ClickSafety can customize employee orientations, toolbox meeting or provide training via subscription. Safety how, when and where you need it.
KEEPING YOU INFORMED
ABC provides resources to help you stay current with the information you need to make better business decisions.
• Construction Executive – The magazine for the business of construction
• ABC Newsline – Weekly electronic newsletter for merit shop contractors from ABC National
• Local Newsletters – Emailed newsletters monthly from ABC of Alaska
• Legal Resources – Get help on labor and construction law issues
• Construction Economic Update – Stay current on news that impacts your business