ABC of Alaska operates as a group sponsor which provides participating employers with immediate access to qualified workers. If you are interested in becoming a professional trade craftsman in the construction industry then apprenticeship may be the path for you.
What is Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is a combination of trade specific study and on-the-job training. The program is designed to take someone who may have little or no experience in their chosen field to journey- level in about four years. This is accomplished by utilizing hands-on-experience and trade related instruction. ABC of Alaska's Apprenticeship Program is approved and recognized by the U.S. Department of Labor, Apprenticeship Training Employment and Labor Services (ATELS). Upon completing the required coursework and the on-the-job training, the apprentice will achieve journey-level status in his or her trade, recognized in all fifty states.
Why Go Through Apprenticeship?
- Apprentices learn and earn on-the-job training during the day with their employer
- Allows you to work while learning the skills and knowledge you need to advance through a craft
- Spend several hours studying curriculum learning the theory and practical applications of the craft
- As an apprentice, the more knowledge and skills you learn, the more pay you receive
ABC of Alaska currently offers Apprenticeship and Craft Training in the following trades:
- Sprinkler Fitter
- Sheet Metal
Applicant "To Do" List
Download an application and submit with these documents:
- Valid Driver's License
- Social Security Card or Valid eligibility document from the ICE
- Official Driving Record from the state issuing the driver's license (no more than 30 days old)
- High School Graduates:
- Proof of High School Graduation
- High School Transcripts
- General Equivalency Diploma Recipients:
- Algebra 1 an entire year with a "C" or higher (Applicants who do no have a "C" or higher in high school or college algebra must meet the math requirement by alternate means.)
- Resume ( Resume should include any and all additional training, certificates, and coursework. Please provide copies of all certificates and cards of completion)
- Veterans must include a copy of their DD214
- Non- Refundable application processing fee of $50.00
Once your application is complete with all accompanying documents please turn in to the ABC office by fax, mail, or in person. From there we will schedule you an interview. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be entered into the ranked applicant pool to fill apprenticeship openings as they occur.